/ ELC / Childminder Information

Funded Early Learning and Childcare (ELC)

All three and four year-olds and eligible two year-olds benefit from 1140 hours a year of funded ELC. These hours are free to parents, funded by the Scottish Government, and administered through local authorities.

Childminders can become a partner provider with their local authority to deliver funded ELC. This will not only support positive outcomes for children and families in your area, but it can also help make a difference to your income and business sustainability. 

For childminders involved in delivering funded hours, this is now very much part of core business and not an ‘add-on’. 

Looking to deliver funded ELC?

Take a look at the FAQs below to find out how to become a partner provider, what you need to do, and how to take the first steps. These FAQs will also help explain more about funded ELC in relation to childminding, and answer some of the questions you may have. 

holding image


Q. What are the benefits of being a partner provider and delivering funded ELC?
Q. How do I become a partner provider to deliver funded ELC in my area?
Q. Do I need to adapt my service to become a partner provider?
Q. Will I get inspected by both the Care Inspectorate and Education Scotland?
Q. What support is available for partner providers?
Q. What is the hourly rate for childminders delivering funded ELC?
Q: In the Programme for Government, there was a commitment to paying all funded ELC providers £12 per hour. Does this mean I would earn £12 per hour, per child?
Q. Can I provide funded ELC for a family member?
Q. Can families use their funded ELC entitlement in any way they wish?
Q: A family wants to use my service for their funded ELC, but the local authority has not presented this as an option for them. What can we do?
Q. What does the term 'blended' Early Learning and Childcare (ELC) mean?
Q: Will a child who received a 1140 funded hours placement last year get it again this year?
Q. What is the criteria for eligible two-year-olds?
Q. What happens if a child has been deferred for starting school?