Comprehensive cover for just £37 per year

Public liability………………………… limit of liability £10 million
Employers’ liability…………….….. limit of liability £10 million
Legal defence costs………………. £250,000
Professional indemnity….………. £100,000

PLI is only available to new and existing SCMA members.  PLI policy underwritten by Royal and Sun Alliance Insurance plc.  Additional costs may be incurred for the provision of extended cover.

We know how important it is to you to feel protected. With a range of tailored insurances, designed especially for SCMA members, you can be sure that you, your business, and the children you care for are covered. Our Public Liability Insurance (PLI) is only available to new and existing SCMA members.  The PLI policy is underwritten by Royal and Sun Alliance Insurance plc.  Additional costs may be incurred for the provision of extended cover.

Key information at a glance

  • PLI policy covers one childminder and up to two assistants/students. If there are more staff, further cover can be arranged.

  • If you employ assistants, or have students or volunteers at your setting, you will need Employer’s Liability Insurance.  If you pay them more than £116 per week you will need to provide your ERN/PAYE reference.

  • SCMA Professional Indemnity covers up to a maximum claim of £100,000. Further top ups are available by calling 01786 445377.  Local authority requirements differ, so please check the level of cover required in your area, especially if you are providing funded places. 

Public Liability Insurance

It is a legal requirement for childcare professionals to have appropriate public liability insurance covering them in their work with children.  SCMA’s public liability insurance is underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc and is only available to SCMA members.

Each year, SCMA works with the insurance providers to make sure that the policy options we offer continue to meet members' needs. We take into account the claims made, questions asked, and any regulatory changes in the sector. Read the POLICY SUMMARY here.

SCMA’s public liability insurance cover has a standard limit of indemnity of £10,000,000.  


Professional Indemnity Insurance

Professional Indemnity Insurance is included in SCMA’s PLI policy, free of charge. 

Our standard Professional Indemnity Insurance limit is £100,000. If you require a higher limit we can arrange a top-up policy to ensure that your setting has the right cover.  Always check the requirements of your local authority early years team. 

Please call our team at head office on 01786 445377 for more details.

Employer's Liability Insurance

If you employ an assistant or another childminder, by law you need to hold Employer’s Liability Insurance (ELI). You will also need Employers Liability Insurance if you are going to be working with a student or unpaid volunteer.

SCMA public liability insurance already includes employer's liability insurance as standard, to a limit of £10,000,000. It covers up to three people (staff, students, or volunteers) including the policy holder, with a standard limit of indemnity £10,000,000.

If you are a member of SCMA and hold Public Liability Insurance with us this is included free of charge with your policy but must be activated by calling SCMA on 01786 445377

However, you must also call SCMA every time you renew your insurance to activate your ELI for the coming year.

When purchasing your Employers Liability Insurance you will be asked by SCMA if you pay your employee more than £116 per week. If you pay more than this you will be required to provide SCMA with your Employee Reference Number (ERN also commonly referred to as the Employer PAYE reference). This ERN number is issued by HMRC and can be found on your yellow PAYE payment booklet (P30BC), or on the electronic PAYE reminders that HMRC sends you each year.

Please also advise SCMA if you do not have an ERN number, as this will ensure we are complying with the insurance industry standards. If you do not pay your employees over the threshold, you are exempt from supplying this.

However, you are still required to keep payroll records. If you are exempt you will receive cover under your SCMA policy for Employers Liability Insurance. Further information regarding assistants can be found in the Working with an Assistant Booklet which can be downloaded from the membership dashboard.

Need more information?

To discuss Employers Liability Insurance or register your ERN number, call SCMA on 01786 445377.

To find out how RSA uses your information CLICK HERE.

“I'm happy with literature and support from SCMA, and the affordable Public Liability Insurance.”

SCMA Member

Got a childminding

Employer Liability Insurance is essential for services that are registered with a childminding assistant(s), including unpaid and paid employees. SCMA provides FREE Employers Liability Insurance (ELI) to members who are also policyholders. CLICK HERE to read the policy summary.

How does RSA use
your information?

Find out important information about the details that you have provided RSA in order to take out your Public Liability Insurance. You should show this notice to any other childminder related to this insurance.

PLI Terms and

By choosing to purchase insurance from SCMA you agree to abide by these terms and conditions. This is our standard client agreement upon which we intend to rely.


Membership of a trusted organisation like SCMA gives you peace of mind, invaluable support and a chance to make a difference. It says that you're professional, informed and committed to quality.

Need more information?
To discuss Employers Liability Insurance or register your ERN number, call SCMA on 01786 445377 or click below to fill in the form and we'll get back as soon as possible.